Tuesday 13 July 2010

FRUIT +++

The Weather Forecast said it would start raining at 4 pm - they were wrong - it started at a quarter past four.

Before that I attacked the six inch grass on the lower lawns - we now have a grass cutting mountain. R cleared the grass from around the copper beech hedge.

Then I picked a pan full of raspberries, dry froze a couple of pounds and made about seven pounds of jam. I picked very carefully as the wasps were sampling the fruit also and I had no great desire to pick a wasp!
When one gets a bit decrepit like myself the old balance goes. Fell over whilst picking raspberries and fell onto the purple sprouting broccoli which now lies flat. Can only hope it will recover.

Then I picked three pounds of gooseberries
and froze 2 pounds, R made fool with the rest.

Weeded a bit and pulled up my only turnip - size of small football.

The blackcurrants are still on the bushes and need picking but there may be as much as 20 pounds +.
The birds will have some - are already as the dark blackbird droppings testify. That is all right by me - I don't mind if the birds have some fruit as long as there is enough for me.

The outlook is wet so not good for soft fruit.

Three jays on the shed roof outside my window. Saw me and cry of alarm. They are such twitchy birds.

Time for cup of tea, bread and the scum off the jam.

No comments:

Post a Comment