Sunday 23 October 2011

TOO LATE FOR TEA IN THE GARDEN

Not so much late in the year
as the weather cools but regarding the ex leader of Libya.
I invited Gadaffi, via this blog, to tea in the garden so I could chat to him about his troubles in a relaxed atmosphere. Unfortunately he was too busy to come so I was thwarted from changing his mind.

Anyway - to gardens - the cotoneaster is loaded with berries, best it has been.

Now berries makes me think of a strange thing - we usually have half a dozen blackbirds rooting in the garden but I have not seen one for a while. I expect they will come back but . . . ?

Still we have second flush
flowering as here with the Ceratostigma wilmottianum - what a mouthful. It nearly died last winter in the intense cold but has recovered somewhat to flower a second time.

R has been clearing out the marrow/pumpkin bed yesterday and I have dug two big holes for two Amelanchiers due to arrive next month. I also transferred a Guelder Rose and a Hydrangea paniculata to the banking in front of the house.
As the shrubs in the herbaceous borders get bigger I am moving them to permanent sites.
More to go yet.
This frees up room elsewhere.
I have also planted an Aruncus dioicus (Goat's Beard) down in the boggy bit where, I hope, it will thrive.
We bought it at Eggleston Hall Gardens on wednesday.

So what is this you may ask?

It is actually the heart of a flower of the orchid in the kitchen - an extraordinary mechanism (aren't we all).

The orchid family have such a varied complicated reproductive organisation.

Though, in the end, as with everything, A + B = C (or sometimes Z), or in the case of a clone A = A .

This makes on wonder, looking around, how many of us are Zs.
Time for a mug of chocolate and a few Zzzzzzzs.

ps - it is raining this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment