Thursday 29 March 2012

BLUEBELLS IN MARCH?!!!

Yes, it is true. The bluebells are coming into flower in the wood six weeks early.

We have the usual primroses and snowflakes and so on but bluebells!

Now, you may notice that something has been having a good nibble at the primrose petals in this picture, well the daffs have suffered also and I have not yet found the beetle or bug causing it - yet!

It has to be said that the weather, 23C, is unseasonably warm and because of that I worry for the fruit. One cherry is already out and the buds on the plum, damsons and pear are bursting. Will we get a frost and no crop?

I love sitting here looking out of the window where I have placed 2 feeders and to one side a nest box. Last year spotted flycatchers investigated but decided against. I have improved the shelter for the box this year - fingers crossed.
And now 2 goldfinches have landed on the feeders - what birds.

Talking of birds we had
another tragedy, I think caused by a passing sparrowhawk. One greenfinch panicked and flew into the study window and breaking its neck.

Work goes on in the garden, the usual mower needs an overhaul badly - I have rather neglected it - and tomorrow Harry A arrives with a sit on mower for me to try in my senility. (Might be fun though and I am sure younger members of the family might actually do some mowing?)

I have been repairing
the woodland steps which are ageing and have begun to construct 2 large compost bays beyond the veg beds. This will enable me to get rid of those by the back door.

Our basil in the kitchen which we bought from a supermarket 18 months ago has succumbed to overwatering - we both watered it by mistake. I managed to take three cuttings so we have three young plants. You just bung them in a jam jar of water and they root. Then they can be potted up.

Oh! What wonderful weather. The garden is Eden. Sitting with the Kakuro and a cuppa in a riot of birdsong and scent (from the Skimmias) looking out over Low Furness and Morecambe Bay is heaven.

But Bluebells in march?

No comments:

Post a Comment