Sunday 22 April 2012

PROOF IS IN THE JAMJAR

So here is the proof - did make marmalade - albeit with frozen oranges - but it worked.

So the day I made Marmalade Bert Weedon died - did I use his tutor - well actually, no, I was too lazy and just mucked about with chords (which is all I can do now). Only good for jam sessions - Ha!
Did 4 lbs raspberry jam with old fruit today - yum!

Saw first swallow yesterday
and we had siskins on the birdfeeders, sir to the left, m' lady to the right.
Still no nuthatches but one can always hope.

In the garden a banking has been cleared by covering it for three years with black porous plastic sheeting - actually this was part of the great pumpkin and squash, oh! and marrow plan but this year I have scattered wildflower seed.

And there are bees in the garden - honey bees. Hardly saw a single one last year.

So to the celandines -
I no longer dig them up - have conceded defeat and now say how lovely they are. Anyway they will have disappeared by summer.

I have planted some parsley and three rows of leeks, the latter in their trenches, in the protected vegbeds.

There is this thought that runs through my head - Shall I mow? Shall I not mow?
I pondered so long the heavens opened and my dilemma was resolved.

One great success has been the ranunculi - never did well before so I emptied an old sink in the autumn and stuffed it with compost. R then put in the ranunculi and they are doing so well.
Is it rununculi or ranunculusses or, if neuter Latin, ranuncula?
Does it really matter?
Even to the ranuncs?

1 comment:

  1. Weedon has played his last and the swallow making it's first - que sera but still the summer is a long way off. Terrible forecast for a while but
    impressive looking marmalade whilst the grass grows under your feet
    p.s. 'Frog' is a lot easier to say than ranunculus from which I see it derives.

    ReplyDelete