Sunday 6 May 2012

SWEET PEAS EVERYWHERE

Swallows are here but not the rain. They keep promising it and then three spots and that is all - so watering going on. It has been a very dry April/early May.

The pond is low with a few surviving tadpoles clinging on. Down there the first candelabra primulas are out - white with a yellow eye and deep red. The yellow and orange ones come later.

The Kingcups/marsh marigiolds
are splendid but this has nothing to do with the title.
I have been putting out handfuls of sweet peas all tied in and surrounded by netting to keep the bunnies at bay - two fat ones who come in and out of the garden by the oak tree in the hedge. I suggested to R that I made a wire loop trap but she pointed out that I would botch the job, and that I wouldn't kill them anyway as I do not like killing things.
I am rather fond of the rabbits - perhaps I should personalise the relationship by giving them names - something from the past - ?Uncle Bun and Aunt Bill?

Herbs have been put in near the coldframe - thyme, marjoram and lemon balm. There is also a rosemary bush there.

Tulips have moved on to later flowering ones - a black one given to me some years ago by Puck which keeps going on and on and these red ones by the Wendy House which are almost overpowering.
Ate a little rhubarb yesterday so my tongue is not the only thing I am running away with now! Amazing how a little radiotherapy can change ones habits! This makes me remember to tell you that I have planted some buddleia cuttings around the septic tank to try and hide it.

Also had a smidgeon of asparagus but had to supplement with some shop bought stuff. It has not yet really got going.

Now I have to go up into the wood and do a rain dance - well actually the weather forecast is poor for the coming week - hooray! for the garden, boo! for those going on holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment