Tuesday 5 June 2012

GARDENING DESIRES

This is one of the paths in our small piece of woodland.

So, I asked myself, (if one talks to trees I suppose it is ok to talk to myself), if you could work magic in the garden what would you chose.

Several thoughts spring to mind - manure that transports itself, weeds that commit suicide all in the greater cause, birds that do not fly into windows, squirrels that are red - I could tolerate them if they were not so grey, rabbits that ate only long grass, slugs and snails that emigrate every morning to next door (next door is a field), paving that did not get slippery and need power washing AND a machine that strimmed by itself.

Ah! I can only dream.

This is a marigold, one of the ones that overwintered and now are flowering profusely.
It is redolent with Fibonacci numbers as its petals spiral out from the centre, it is just that it is not easy to see here.

R loves orange, not oranges but the colour. So I search for orange geums and wallflowers and oriental poppies and so on.
Marigolds are right up her street but she likes these big ones not the small tagetes.

No matter what colour there is in the garden, and most of it is green, greys and more importantly whites are essential.

I like red so the oriental poppy Goliath does well as does Geum Mrs Bradshaw seen here.

Something has munched the Cosmos Annabelle seedlings - rabbits I think - and I saw them escaping up into the brambles by the far wall - investigation needed.

As per Monty Don on Gardeners' World, the asparagus is very poor and now needs feeding and leaving alone - only 3 meals from the whole bed.
Roses are out and in a vase in the hall with a large sprig of Kolkwitzia, the beauty bush. Strangely, its flowers look much better in an arrangement than on the bush.

The other morning I looked out of the living room window to see, sitting on the willow tunnel, a tawny owl. We hear them at night, hooting and squeawking. (The sound is nether an squeak nor a squawk).

It is still chilly, wooly combinations and flat hat (I do live up north) on, swimming cozy well shut away in a drawer.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know the orange Geum 'Cooky' - am sure 'Mrs Bradshaw' would like it too. My main gardening desire is to have a garden - after that it would be autumhn leaves that blow into the bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an orange geum too but name unknown. I had chippings for a path delivered in a huge builders sack unloaded from a lorry. After it was empty I used it for leaves to make leaf mould - but it is a slow process.

    ReplyDelete