Wednesday 11 April 2012

WET GRASS, MANY PLANTS, WHERE DO I PUT THEM?

The grass is wet, is wet, is wet.

Hence the mower is in the shed, is in the - well you get the idea. The garden is shaggy with grass.

Colour is everywhere, magnolias, blue sky (intermittently), red young sycamore leaves, yellow-green euphorbias (out of control and spreading wildly).

I have too many plants - bad habits have caused this - every time I prune a blackcurrant I cannot refrain from sticking in a couple of cuttings. I did the same with buddleias and when I pruned the red leafed
maple I thought, well why not, and jammed in a few sticks to overwinter.
They are all sprouting!

If you then add in the 27 bay trees I got in a pot from the market for £1.20, 23 have survived the winter, a couple of redcurrants, suckers off the raspberries - well - WHERE DO I PUT THEM?

R has said, no more flowerbeds, we have enough weeding to do.

So I have stuck some of the stuff in the far corner by the wall to fend for themselves in the couch grass. At least the birds will enjoy the currants.

R has been manfully, no, womanfully dead heading daffodils. So many of their flowers have been damaged by slugs - cannot blame that on the bunnies.

After the warmth, the rain - ducks on the pond, king cups (marsh marigolds) out and flowers coming on the ash trees. Yes, they do have blossom - purple clusters of anthers etc before the leaves.
Tree colour is something, apart from autumn hues and the obvious like the cherries, we do not often consider. The flowers on sycamores are like small versions of laburnum, more green than yellow but very beautiful.

Time for a pontificate.

I have just been reading Simon Sebag Montefiore's Biography of Jerusalem. Nothing seems to change much in that part of the world (or never stops changing) - so many deaths, all related to power and religion.

I am so glad I live in this beautiful backwater,
The goldfinches are back outside my window and a small mouse had just scurried around the wall by the shed.
What do these creatures know of power and religion - a man made thing?
Perhaps there is nothing wrong with religion as long as men are not involved?
Women?

No comments:

Post a Comment