Sunday 10 April 2011

OH! TO BE IN ENGLAND NOW

The weather is warm and the garden is bursting forth. Chiffchaffs are exhausting themselves, the tits are in the nest boxes and a blackbird is throwing liquid notes from a tree.

Up in the ash wood there is a clump of hawthorn, (May), and one or two young hazels. I have been clearing the lower branches away to above head height.
The photos show before and after.
Now we can see a scattering of dog violets amongst the ground growth which were hidden before.
We have both the common and the pale version.
Welcome to the land of the human pincushion - I know, I should wear tough gloves.

The cherry blossom is wonderful - this is the Prunus Shirotae.

We also have a Prunus Taihaku - the Great White Cherry of Japan.

R. has been labouring under a rhododendron bush removing brambles and willowherb.

Off to Manchester tomorrow again but only two 'phaser' doses to go - no, Dr Spock was a paediatrician and he had normal eyebrows.

I seem to have lost my way, where was I?

Right - so much to do and not enough time - such is the way of the gardener. Do I envy those with three square metres of lawn, (note the use of metric measurement - now the modern man), - no.

And the title of this blog - Browning, (not gravy), Home thoughts from abroad -
'Oh! to be in England now that April's there,
April is a sultry girl with lots of sun blonde hair - and so on.'

Back soon.

I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment