Thursday 22 August 2019

PESSIMISM, GAIA AND RABBITS


Why, when I look at all the words that spill from politicians' mouths (or not) do I feel pessimistic about the future of our world?
R would say it is because I am a pessimist.
But mankind is almost always a species of 'too little, too late.'

And when we are gone the world will breath a belated sigh of relief, and animals get on with breeding and eating one another.
And will there be a species to inherit the planet? - I suppose it depends on how much of a mess we have made of it. 

The obvious candidate is the rat with its opposing thumbs and ability to survive. 
One other suggestion has been artificial intelligence. If so I do not think it would be long before they abandon the human form and improve on it.

Perhaps enough misery - but I have little faith in those with the power, they are too self-interested. 
James Lovelock is 100 years old and, I wonder, if his theory of Gaia is true - is the earth one giant interdependent living system that regulates itself? Unfortunately we are interfering with that natural system so changes to the earth will get rid of us, or at least control us one way or another - climate change, loss of fertility, disease etc.

The old raspberry canes are removed, the red currants pruned, the beech hedge tidied and I have raised the canopy on one of the small trees. Many of the plums are rotten and wasps - we need sun! The lawn needs mowing but it rains and rains, makes it nearly impossible - THEN I have that phone call - "We have a cancellation for you knee replacement." Panic! Say no, no not till the garden is put to bed for the winter, then give in and get on with it - next Thursday.

The butterflies continue to be wonderful - even there are beautiful moths around.
Below  is a Grey Chi moth on the shed door, only an inch (2.4 cm)  long.




With steely determination I decided to try and find out who had eaten the leaves off my dill, who was the thief in the night.
So I put the video camera by the bed and went a way - 356 images of a waving parsnip leaf and this -



We have courgettes - well a few, but who will harvest the damsons, pears and apples, dig up the potatoes when I am crutched and hobbling?

This was the alchemilla before it went over and R got her shears to it - but it will revive.

The two roses we got for our anniversary are planted and I need to put in the many small Ox-eye daisies amongst the white birches. And so on and so on.

Anyway I will soon have dissolved if the rain does not stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment