Sunday 16 August 2020

CARRY ON UP THE JUNGLE

It is Tuesday, thunder, lightning and RAIN last night, Midday temp 29C and humidity 83%. Phew.



Got out mower yesterday and found the bottom garden was 9" (20cm) of liquid mud. Mower is still sitting, bogged down there. Two of us could not get it out. Now awaiting a tow rope, a son and a van to try and pull it out. Access to it difficult.

This has stimulated a rethink of the garden with an area left to bog (did find an old drain under the mower but it must blocked), mow any bottom garden where gets wet with small mower and just do drier areas with sit-on. If we can get it out otherwise it will have to be an unusual ornament.
Come Wednesday and it popped out like a cork much to the amusement of all. There is a video of me driving away on Instagram and everyone laughing. https://www.instagram.com/p/CDzOHnAjQh7/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
  Actually am a bit fed up with -"J has loads of courgettes, so-and-so's plums are ripe and juicy etc etc" so I might just give up all but lawn and beds near house and sit in the garden and drink zero alcohol beer and eat crisps, whatever my heart thinks.
Perhaps the heat is getting to me - I know, I will jump in the pond -  (no, cannot face the slime and algae and newts between my toes (and elsewhere)).


We have roses, a few and looking at the yellow one I see there is dead heading to be done.




There seems to be plenty of white around in the garden as the cosmos are thriving - hooray! Something at least.





Other whites include the phlox which is splendid, daisies of the traditional kind, both the white hydrangeas, Annabelle on the ground from the rain - the heads get so heavy, and the Paniculata lighting up in the shade of the great white cherry.










Then there are the erratics as I call them - the wild flowers that intrude - I will remove a hogweed buy the wild angelica is glorious and covered in honey bees.  



And so to other colours - orange day lilies and fennel -


Orange crocosmia, blue shrubby clematis and white achillea (Dorothy's double sneezewort). Yellow this and blue that. Pink Japanese anemones discarded into the long grass of the lower banking, The Fuchsia magellanica that reminds me of Irish hedges growing by the gate.








I should never have mowed the lawns yesterday - now it is Sunday 16C and showery.

So a final note of sympathy for our poor Victoria plum - getting a bit like me, bent and bowed with the weight of the world (well plums) all too small and not ripe enough to eat - yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment