Saturday 5 June 2021

SUMMER AT LAST

We went to Muncaster and missed the bluebells as they were over but the rhododendrons and shrubs were good.



After all the moaning about the cold weather it is Wednesday and 26C. We have been given some canna lilies and now I have to decide where to put them!

I have sown parsley and courgettes, some carrots and tied up the remaining straggly sweet peas - not given up quite yet.

Lawns mown and every time I walk about I pull up broad-leaved willowherb and goosegrass (cleavers).

The banking grass is growing apace and the farmers here are silaging hard.

The woodland floor is mostly red campion but where we have scattered forget-me-nots they mix with there wild pignut to give a different carpet.


The path back down to the house winds between the may and a camellia still out - June!


Over the last couple of years I scattered the ripe seed of the Allium purple sensation and they have now produced flowers.


The wild flower meadow area does have a few yellow rattle but so far little else - lot of work, not much return, keep hoping. The sorrel is flowering but that was there anyway. One plant that is looking good is the white camassia and I have several more in bud but I have forgotten what colour they are so will it be a surprise? Actually unlikely.

Elsewhere the white birches look good in the sun - now reaching maturity. 
We have two benches at the far end of the garden, well planks and such - 



And it is not only flowers that give colour - many new leaves have their own attractiveness whether the choisya or the rhododendrons.

One structural feature of a garden that is without massive structure detail is the curved path in from of the house, looking away or back.



I am now off to seaweed feed and water the sweet peas again - pray for them!
I leave you with the red campion in the wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment