Saturday 9 October 2021

ASH R.I.P.

So it has arrived at last. One of our big ash trees is showing signs of dieback - let alone smaller ones nearby. Willington Wood near Ulverston looks a disaster area with most young ash affected. There are tree skeletons everywhere.



 The only creatures that seem to appreciate it are the local rooks that congregate every day in the bare tops from where they have a good look out unhampered by leaves.
We have quite a lot of mature ash trees in our small wooded area including one venerable one and it will be sad (and expensive) if they go.

With all the rain the sensible thing has been to keep off the garden as much as possible. Plants that are over have been cut back but lawns are a no go area. 

Tulips are potted up and the sweet peas sown early are showing not the slightest inclination to germinate.

However there are still flowers in the garden - 





The hydrangeas continue to thrive though Annabelle has been flattened by the rain. This one, more sturdy, is now turning pink as it ages.



The top path is almost blocked by the miscanthus and after rain I end up with wet legs as I push past.

Whereas many flowers like the dahlias are in your face blasts of colour and form others are delicate like this Hesperantha or Kaffir lily. It used to be called Schizostylis but the powers that be love to change the names when on is not looking.

The garden is so wet at the far end the grass is like a skating rink. Needless to say, going to the compost heap I fell flat on my backside, covered in mud!

We are still enjoying the sweetness of carrots straight out of the soil and I took a large bag of Conference pears to coffee on Thursday and handed them out - instructions as to ripening given - brown paper bag, pears and a ripe banana, leave 3 to 4 days to ripen.

Recipe for pickled pears -

Put pared zest 1 lemon and juice in pan with 10 cloves, 2 teaspoons crushed black pepper, 1 teaspoon crushed allspice, 5 cm sliced root ginger, 1 litre cider, 2 cinnamon sticks and 1 kg sugar into a pan and stir over gentle heat until sugar dissolved.
Peel, core and halve or quarter pears, add to pan, simmer 15 minutes until pears tender. Remove pears and boil till liquid reduced by a third.
Put pears into warm jars, pour over syrup and seal.


It is always surprise when people say that they read this blog but a pleasant one. I know as I get older and friends and relatives suffer from age and disease (wear out) it keeps me going. Just to say I think of you all.

2 comments:

  1. I always read it and want to comment but can never remember my login to do so, so seeing as I'm on Ali's computer just now, I can try and use his login!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS It's Izzy not Ali by the way x

    ReplyDelete