Wednesday 19 October 2022

FALL FALLS

 I went out this morning and a whirl of sycamore seeds were blown from our notable tree. Now I know where the idea of a helicopter came from, nothing to do with dragonflies. The wings whirl around the central seed just like a blade.

We are just back from Herefordshire and my jaw is aching from motorway driving. They had grown a plethora of gourds.


At home R has been cutting back the white rosebay and I have mown the lawns - hopefully for the last time. Whilst we were away there was some heavy rain and the bottom garden has returned to its usual boggy state.

Leaves are falling but there is still some interest in the garden with rosehips and the bark of our cherries. The leaves on the big magnolia catch the sun and look especially good now.


Autumn does have its compensations though with the startling leaf colours it can bring.


Sometimes I look at our tall eucalyptus and think did we plant that about fourteen years ago as a small sapling?


Still flowers like the dahlias and cosmos coming as long as I deadhead. We have not yet had a hard frost if any so they carry on. Then I look out of my window and think I must cut that ivy in the old ash tree. It has the Rambling Rector rose up it too - surely more than enough. And plants that were written off have recovered especially the clematis armandii on the shed that had wilt and the rhododendron off which all the leaves fell earlier this year - now sprouting profusely.

I look up at the photo of the eucalyptus and it illustrates how the garden has almost become a wood. Here is a picture of the garden from not long after we arrived - 


Changed a bit?

So now it is time to batten down hatches, tidy the garden (especially the compost heap I am told). Perhaps time to ring the gardener?

1 comment:

  1. Your pic showing the gorgeous autumn colors & a mountain (?) in the far back is so very, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete