Friday 20 September 2019

GETTING BETTER ALL THE TIME


I hope.

Occasionally I get asked interesting questions like - what is this root?
And often I do not know. This is from an English garden and is a knobbly rhizome resembling, wait for it, turmeric? possibly ginger? even a grass like miscanthus?
If it is a turmeric the rhizome when cut should be brightly coloured.

If anyone knows better please let me know and I will pass on the information.

Recovering from my knee operation I often sit in the new extension looking across the garden to the white Japanese anemones and, further away, the splash of deep yellow from the rudbeckia Goldsturm. A lazy buzzard flies over, a willow warbler, still here, skulks in the genista.


R has been bottling spiced pears, I think they might end up as Christmas presents. And since I came home from the op she has moved into cake mode - obviously thinks, as usual, I need building up. (This was one of the reasons I used to be a largish fellow.) However to quote Satchmo - almost - 'What a wonderful wife."
White sweet peas - a few - and in then garden white lighting up the dark corners - Japanese anemones




 Marguerites and phlox







And the fleabane (Erigeron) by the path down from the paving are good.

  

R has been taking cuttings from the hydrangea Annabelle, dead heading day lilies, agapanthus, in fact doing gardening I would do if I could.

The scented-leaf geranium will have to come in soon as frosts approach. It has loved being by the seat, after a sharp pruning.

The first leaves are yellowing on the trees (except the sycamore which go dirty greyish brown - if only they went bright red, yellow, anything else.)

Watching the rabbits at the back of the house I am increasingly convinced that they have a burrow up there - once I am more mobile I shall have to go searching. 
And then here they are just outside the house, bold as brass!



The butternut squash plants straggle all over the place but I cannot see any fruit - flowers yes but no fruit.
Examining the big damson the damage from the pocket plum is plain to see with many shrivelled fruit - but still enough for us to freeze and eat.

Anyway, knees must, back to the exercises.

1 comment:

  1. Fleabane blooms here in late spring. It is long gone. Many consider it a weed but I love it.

    ReplyDelete