Sunday 6 September 2020

PLANS



I am going to mow the lawn - no I am not - the lower garden is just too wet. However the part that the gardener drained is actually a bit better. So I cut 
back the willows around the compost heaps and peeled old bark off the white birches. Then I collected mint, chopped it and put in a jar with malt vinegar so I can have mint sauce with my lamb all winter. The bay trees have been pruned - with secateurs to look better - shears or trimmers leave unsightly cut leaves.

Most of the plantain is raked out of the pond and sitting at the side to let creatures slither back into the water. R is happier as she likes to see uncluttered water surface and reflections.

I am thinking of moving the veg beds lower in the garden but more away from tree. Then the best lawn area can be extended further towards the big  damson tree. Perhaps raised beds - they will need a rabbit proof fence around them.

Thinking about  changing the bed by the paving with the pinks removed (no idea where to put them) and the box trees in pots put there as box balls to be.

The shed has been sorted, tidied, the ravages of the mice in the peanuts sorted and I have over 200 plastic flowerpots. Recycling here I come except J wants the 2 litre ones to move her garden to a local hostelry where she is doing the garden.


I went out with the sit-on mower - I mean it has not rained for several days - but as you can see the grass was not appreciative of my efforts. Anyway this afternoon, Wednesday, it is pouring down again so no more mow for now.



When the sun does shine, after rain, the air is crisp and bright and the upper wood a delight. In fact, on Monday, crossing Kirkby Moor we could see the Isle of Man 45 miles away, and returning the hills of Snowdonia in North Wales 85 miles to the south.

 We still have roses in flower and the cosmos and anemone 
light up the bed outside the big doors. The Mexican fleabane, I think, is in the wrong place as I am not a fan of white and yellow together.

A bumper crop of Bramley apples is on the way, the rabbits appreciating the windfall as the tree self thins its fruit.


As we are in England the weather needs talking about though what I would like to say is probably represented by a load of asterisks - 
*********!

At the far top of the wood the boggy bit is full of watercress (and maybe flukes?)

 Perhaps I will redo the back bed where the herbs grow - but then, where to where do I move the herbs?
Sweet Cicely, apple mint and lovage.



Anyway have just eaten a good herb omelette made with R and J's wonderful eggs.
The house martins are gone south I think, I have just seen rook with a twig in its bill - nest building already??

Time for a cup of tea.

2 comments:

  1. At first glance I thought the mower's tyre tracks in the grass was a new and lovely pebble mosaic installation along the lines of a Moroccan type pattern! (This is Izzy not Ali, I'm just using his computer.)

    ReplyDelete