Friday 2 October 2020

THE WILDFLOWER MEADOW IS SOWN

Friday, cold with a brisk north-easterly but sitting in the extension with friends is is warm in the sun. Bats are flying through the garden hawking for insects and the last of the swallows are heading south over the bay.

Then we have an afterthought of summer for a weekend and the sun is warm. I cut and rake the grass in preparation for the wildflower meadow - and rake and mow and mow but still cannot get enough of the thatch off.

Monday is a day where the weather hesitates, a little rain, but then Tuesday reveals autumn in its full glory with a heavy dew, sun and a long bar of mist in the bay. My friend N has had a snow bunting in his garden, I settle for wrens and blackbirds, sparrows and a singing robin. I would walk the garden but I am waiting for the doctor to ring about my hip. (More OA)

The morning sun draws out the colours in some of the flowers. The air is sharp.

The weather men say there are storms ahead and I have not picked the apples.

 Autumn colours  are here - sunny Tuesday.

 
The Japanese anemones flower and flower - pink and white, no dead heading needed.
 

 
Elsewhere in the garden the path down from the paving is lined with erigeron and nasturtiums, the courgettes and rhubarb thrive on.


Up in the wood we probably need to trim back a bit but the sunlight on the grasses and seedbeds make it a special place.


Wednesday and it is pouring down so a no mow day.

Thursday and the sun shines, the last swallows are heading south and R has been picking apples which I have wrapped in newspaper and put in trays in the shed. There should be plenty to last us till April. I have raked half the lower lawn and removed more thatch, sown my sweet pea seeds, potted up the tulips I saved from last year and done some dead heading. Now I am having a blue Becks.

Friday, today, and I have mown the lawns, at least the bottom ones, and have scattered the seed for the wild flower meadow - now wait and see. 

The windfall still attracting wild things, badger, rabbit, grey squirrel, robin, blackbird and now hen pheasants.

No comments:

Post a Comment