Saturday 6 March 2021

THE BONFIRE OF THE INANITIES

I have finally attacked the apple tree and removed the big central stem to open out the structure. It looks a little sad now but at least I will be able to reach the fruit without falling off a ladder.

On the way to town a child, I think, has put seedlings by the road with an honesty box so I bought some broad beans and they are now in the veg bed covered in netting to ward of the pesky pigeons.

We have our first daffs to go along with the snowdrops and crocuses. There are also flowers coming on the quince and the flowering currant.

The weather has been more or less dry and warm till Tuesday when we had a hard freezing fog.

I am a bit battle scarred from - 1. trying and failing to light the bonfire (I could have used petrol but am averse to explosions), 2. grabbing a rooted bramble by mistake and scratching my hand, 3. bending to get a log for the wood burner and touching the fire with my forehead and 4. I have one of those annoying little ulcers on the tip of my tongue.

That's better, had a good moan.

I have kept the squirrels at bay from the feeder and the birds seem to appreciate that. 
Down by the pond the mallard drake has started to put in an appearance. No sign of the duck yet. Both of us have been dragging excess weed from the water.

S the gardener has been, sawn up the applewood for our fire and pruned back much of the buddleia.
I have plenty of things for him to do, not least improving the drainage in the lower garden.

All in all the wintry edge is easing away from the garden, marching on into spring.



I mentioned the bonfire before, here it is at the far end of the garden and the more we prune the bigger it gets. R planted these snowdrops and later this part of the wood will be a carpet of bluebells. The wispy twigs are actually self sown hazels. There is also a self sown beech.
 

And at that far end is the old tip from the previous owner including this rusty engine. Too heavy for me to move. 
At the very top of the wood where I sometimes sit there is what, I suppose, is just a clearing.



It is up here where there are yet more new springs and a burgeoning carpet of primroses. The stream leads down to the white birches.


This rhododendron is one of three small plants we bought when staying at Stonefield Castle in Argyll some years ago. 
I expect them to get huge one day but perhaps not in my time. 
The leaves have a similar colour, especially on the back, as the magnolia grandiflora.
We also have the dreaded rhododendron ponticum which I should really get rid of - at least it is in control at the moment.
We also have a small very heavily scented rhododendron we bought from garden near Matlock several years ago. I keep trying to layer it but not much success so far.

Our purple sprouting broccoli is big but there are no sign of any heads yet, we wait in hope.

It is a pity we do not eat the crocuses. Saffron comes from a different plant.

We have our first flower on one of the camellias, many more to come.

Given up trying to light the bonfire - sprayed it with a load of white spirit (safer than petrol) and up it went with a whoosh, then down it went with an whimper and went out. Yes, I give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment