Sunday 1 September 2024

STILL WAITING

 For summer up t' north.

Yes heat in the south but here rarely escapes the teens in Centigrade. 

And WET!

I have picked our six or so damson trees and almost three fruit a tree.

The blackcurrants are pruned and some of the damson suckers removed. I used some of the pruning to shove in the veg bed for future trees. They root so easily if left alone. 

R weeds on assiduously. 

I know R does not like my Elephant grass but I do. I suppose one day I will come home and find it gone?


The bay tree outside the kitchen window was too big and we have bay elsewhere so out came the saw. It may not be up to Monty Don's standard of lopping but it will do.
The rosa rugosa by the washing line is both flowering and fruiting as is the white version in the top hedge.


And is autumn upon us - the euonymus is turning - too early I cry.

We have eaten our first Bramleys and there are conference pears ripening on the kitchen windowsill.


The big white hydrangea is gathering its pink tinge - ?autumn.


This rose was a gift from our children and is called The Poet's Wife.

Sometimes wandering a garden with  camera one sees interesting shapes and so on - this monochrome of spreading branches was taken at Holker Hall.



And her we have alchemilla leaves and creeping thistledown.


Sometimes when mowing the lawn I have to rest and do so on and old hen box from our previous owner backed against the far wall. From there I can look across the garden through the white birches to the eucalyptus. I am sitting under an ash tree suffering with dieback so that makes two of us - and as it is over the wall in the farmer's field not much I can do.
Hello, it has gone dark again and there is a warning out about thunder and heavy rain - what a surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment