Saturday 28 December 2019

THE TURNING OF THE YEAR

With regard to the last blog, Midwinter or is it? Apparently it wasn't, it was the 22nd. So the year has turned - then I heard that the day of the 23rd was 1 second longer than the 22nd. Thought I would mention this but I have no idea why.
I am writing this to get out of R's way whilst she is cooking. (I did grow and prepare the sprouts.)


Sunny today (25th), Not so good a couple of days ago!


And it is early but things are stirring -

celandine leaves and daffodils,


camellia and rhododendron buds waiting to burst,

But the remains of last year lie around (until I can stir myself and pick them up.)



 The weather is capricious, one moment the sun shines, then it rains, then it hails and clarts the grass.






Of course the rain has to go somewhere and so we have a new spring bubbling up from some track beside tree roots or down mole tunnels. I have raked out the many rills and streams but whatever one does water has a mind of its own. Actually, so far, the weather has generally been mild AND WET.
We need to export some of it to Australia.

 So, manured rhubarb bed on the left, composted asparagus bed on the left below and on the right sprouts - beware any visitors, they have to be eaten (but not so bad with bacon), 
 Then - when all is quietly decaying  the marjoram (oregano) and variegated mint continue to thrive. And a big toad in the compost heap - welcome for slug control.

Last blog of this year, this decade if you agree that 2019 is actually the last year of the decade (? be 2020) - my pedantry is triumphing?

See you next year DV.

1 comment: